Date the course commences: July 11th 2022
Duration: 6 x 3hr sessions from 5.30pm – 8.30pm each day (18hrs total)
- Week 1: Monday 11th + Thursday 14th July
- Week 2: Monday 18th + Thursday 21st July
- Week 3: Monday 25th + Tuesday 26th July (please take note that the second session this week takes place on the Tuesday instead of Thursday due to a schedule conflict for John)
Tutor(s): John Truby
“John Truby’s Story Structure Course is a thoroughly detailed and impeccably presented education in the anatomy and psychology of any good story… an invaluable road map that I would recommend to any serious writer. “ – Jeff Arch, Writer of Sleepless in Seattle
Screen Ireland and Screen Skillnet are delighted to present John Truby’s ANATOMY OF A STORY which will run over 6 x 3hr sessions, totalling 18hrs of live workshops across three weeks.
John Truby is the world’s premier story instructor, for screenplays, teleplays, novels, and video games. Over the last 30 years, more than 50,000 writers have attended his sold-out seminars around the world. From Los Angeles to New York to Paris, London, Toronto, Vancouver, Sydney, Mexico City, Berlin and other film capitals, Truby regularly gives his seminars to packed houses.
Pixar, Disney, Sony Pictures, Dreamworks, HBO, BBC, Universal, Studio Canal, Fox, Globo, and AMC are only some of the companies that have sent their top writers and producers to Truby’s class. Called “the best script doctor in the movie industry,” Truby serves as a story consultant for major studios and production companies worldwide. He has been a script doctor on more than 1,800 movies and television dramas. The American Film Institute declared that Truby’s course “allows a writer to succeed in the fiercely competitive climate of Hollywood.”
Truby’s principles and methods are the most modern, exciting approach to storytelling to be developed in a generation, which is why his classes regularly attract everyone from Oscar winners to first-time writers.
ANATOMY OF A STORY is a 6-session online class which will teach you literally hundreds of professional techniques for mastering every step of the storytelling process: premise, character, theme, plot, structure, symbol, scene weave, scene construction, dialogue, and rewrite.
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to master the craft of story and compete with the best storytellers in the world.
Further praise for John’s Truby’s course:
“This course is so good I took it twice.” – Ralph Winter, Producer of X-Men Origins: Wolverine; Fantastic Four; Star Trek IV, V, VI; Planet of the Apes
“I think of all of them Truby’s the best. I actually use Blockbuster, because I think he’s really good. For my taste, his stuff cuts the deepest, and allows you to develop the most detailed structure and outline.” – Larry Wilson, screenwriter Beetlejuice, Addams Family
SESSIONS 1 AND 2
- 7 Structure Steps guaranteed to give you the perfect structure for your story
- Creating the single driving force, the most important aspect of ANY story you write. (Master this and 80% of your work is done!)
- Why everything depends on a great premise, and the 7 steps to create one that grabs the attention of studios and audiences alike
- How to create characters that move the reader emotionally, and give you more plot (Knowing how to generate plot is one of the keys to writing both a great script and novel. 90% of writers have no clue how to do this.)
- 5 Major character changes that your story needs to include in order to be box office hit
- 4 Keys to constructing the perfect opponent for your hero. (This is harder than you think as it requires weaving the attributes into the story world, the plot, and the moral question).
SESSIONS 3 AND 4
- The 22 building blocks to creating the best PLOT you’ve ever written
- How to masterfully construct your story world (This is a key element of your ‘voice’ and what studios, and audiences, are looking for).
- Building the reveals in a crescendo to make your plot sing
- Professional techniques for scene sequencing
- How to write 3-track dialogue, and how to layer it with meaning, emotion, and humor
SESSIONS 5 AND 6
- How to write outstanding stories in the 13 top genres in worldwide storytelling: Action, Comedy, Crime, Detective, Fantasy, Horror, Love, Masterpiece, Memoir-True Story, Myth, Science Fiction, Thriller and Mixed Genre
(Note: it all comes down to special structures. Once you get the structure right for your genre-mix, you can apply your creativity to twist beats and transcend the genre to create hits like Avatar, Westworld, and The Matrix).
The aim of the workshop is to equip storytellers – writers, directors, producers and development personnel – with the professional techniques they need to compete effectively in the worldwide storytelling industry.
Screen Skills Ireland and Screen Skillnet courses are open to all regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
The course is limited to 40 participants
Please apply online at THIS LINK by 12pm on Thursday June 30th.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
John Truby is one of Hollywood’s premier screenwriting instructors and story consultants.
Over the last 25 years, more than 50,000 people have attended his sold-out seminars around the world, with the American Film Institute declaring that his “course allows a writer to succeed in the fiercely competitive climate of Hollywood.”
Called “the best script doctor in the movie industry,” Truby serves as a story consultant for major studios and production companies worldwide, and has been a script doctor on more than 1,800 movies, sitcoms and television dramas for the likes of Disney, Universal, Sony Pictures, FOX, HBO, Alliance Atlantis, Paramount, BBC, MTV and more.
Truby’s former students’ work have earned more than $15 billion at the box office, and include the writers, directors and producers of such film blockbusters asRatatouille, In Treatment, Pirates of the Caribbean, X-Men I/II/III, Shrek, Mother Mary of Chris, Breaking Bad, House, Lost, Planet of the Apes, Scream, The Fantastic Four, The Negotiator, Star Wars, Sleepless in Seattle, Outbreak, African Cats (which Truby co-wrote for Disney) and more. Truby’s class is also regularly attended by top fiction writers and novelists who have topped the New York Times’ Bestseller List, won numerous prestigious literary awards, and have sold over 46 million books worldwide. Hollywood’s best kept secret, Truby’s classes regularly attract everyone from first time writers to A-list writers, producers, directors, filmmakers, story executives, novelists, fiction writers and more.
In addition to his sold-out seminars, John Truby remains on the cutting- edge of technology having created and developed Truby Blockbuster – the bestselling software designed to intuitively help writers learn and understand the art of developing their story ideas into fully realized, professionally-structured scripts.
Truby’s principles and methods are the most modern, exciting approach to screenwriting and storytelling developed in a generation, which is why his classes regularly attract everyone from Oscar winners to first-time writers.
- 15th June 2022 - 15th July 2022
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm